Saturday, December 19, 2009

Asparagus - Good Nutrition






Asparagus belongs to the family Liliaceae of the division Liliopsida. It is a popular herb and has been grown in many countries around the world. It is known for its anti-cancer, anti-fungal and diuretic properties. The origin of the name “Asparagus” comes from the greek asparagos meaning sprout or sparrow. The spears we buy in the store are actually the shoots from an underground crown. There are 300 varieties of asparagus and out of them only 20 are edible. They exist in different colors such as green, white and purple. Purple varieties have a high amount of the anthocyanin pigment. Archaeologists also found traces of wild asparagus in Egypt and other areas in Africa. It was also known to have been cultivated since the times of Pharaohs. The Romans preferred asparagus for its unique flavor and texture.

The emperor Augustine is known to have been very fond of it. In the early 16th century, asparagus was very popular among European Royalty. Its production was exclusively for the nobility until the 18th. century, when it became available in the market. Greeks, Romans, Indians and Chinese believed in its health properties. Today, it is recognized as a particularly healthy vegetable. It contains a wide variety of nutrients, vitamins and minerals.

Since ancient times, asparagus has been known as an excellent diuretic as well as a laxative. It contains original substances as asparagines that makes it a remedy for cholera. Asparagus has been used since ancient times in Indian medicine as a cure for many disorders of the gastrointestinal tract. Along with its protective effect on the cells of the stomach and intestines, asparagus has also been known to have antioxidant and immune stimulant effects. Further more it has also been used to cure disorders of the nervous system, liver, and certain infections. Asparagus has also been prescribed for the treatment of ulcers in the stomach and intestine. The roots of asparagus contain a wide number of compounds that posses antioxidant qualities. Asparagus is supposed to have highest amount of glutathione among all the herbs known so far. Glutathione is an excellent antioxidant and consumption of this amino acid can be a blessing for longevity.

Asparagus is a natural diuretic, and a heart healthy food, containing no fat, cholesterol or sodium. Ancient Chinese herbalists have used asparagus root to treat maladies from arthritis to infertility. One half cup of cooked asparagus contains significant amounts of folic acid, vitamin c, potassium and beta carotene. Folic acid helps prevent birth defects, cervical cancer, colon and rectal cancer and heart disease. Vitamin c protects against cancer and heart disease, and also helps to boost the immune system, where as potassium helps regulate the electrolyte balance within cells, and also helps maintain normal heart function and blood pressure. In short, asparagus is an excellent source of folate, vitamin K, A and B vitamins- B1,B2,B3 and B6, dietary fiber, manganese, copper, potassium and proteins. Histone is the main protein it contains which is the integral part of the cell growth. It has a sugar called inulin which can not be digested by humans but is a good source of nutrition for beneficial bacteria in our intestine.

Asparagus is well known for its anticancer properties since ancient times. “Asparagus for cancer” printed in the Cancer News Journal in December, 1972. It has shown excellent results against Hodgkin’s disease, cancer of bladder, lung cancer and skin cancer. The Elements of Material Media,edited in 1854 by professors at the University of Pennsylvania, shows that asparagus was used as popular remedy for kidney stones.


To make an extract from asparagus, one of the suggested procedures is:

1. Place the cooked asparagus in a blender and liquefy to make a puree and store it in the refrigerator.
2. Give the patient 4 full table spoons twice daily.

There are many ways of cooking asparagus. One can mix them with other vegetables or make a soup out of it. Mostly it is eaten as a boiled vegetable with little butter, salt and black pepper in this country.

Take care of your health with knowledge. I will post another article on some other interesting herb in the first week of January.

Wishing you all a very happy and joyous holiday season and a happy new year !


Ali M. Jafri, Ph.D.

2 comments:

  1. I love asparagus. I am recently consuming more vegetables and asparagus quickly became one of my favorites. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unfortunately there are a lot of AIDS/Herpes denials on Herbal cures still out there. I did research on them after I was tested HIV/Herpes positive I was so worried am I going to die soon. I continue my search again on herbal remedy for Std, then I found lots of testimony on how Dr Itua Herbal Medicine Cured HIV/Aids, Herpes Virus,Copd, Hepatitis, Diabetes, On websites sharing their testimonies, which made much more sense to me. All the authors pronounce Dr Itua As a man with Good Heart, I pick interest in their testimonies and I contact him about my situation then he gave me procedure how it works, I proceed after one week he courier his Herbal Medicine to me and instruct me on how to drink it for two weeks to cure. I receive His Herbal Medicine so I drank it for two weeks as I was told then after 2 days I go for a test I found out I was cured from HIV/Aids & Herpes Virus, I pay homage to him 2 months ago to his country to celebrate with him on his African festival which he told me it usually happens every year. I know there are lots of (HIV)/Aids&Herpes Virus denials of Herbal Remedy movement the same few doctors and they represent a very small faction of the community. I could have died because I refused Natural Herbs Cures for so long, but luckily, by the grace of God I am alive to tell my story. Contact Info...Whatsapp Number...+2348149277967,Email...drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com/ info@drituaherbalcenter.com. My Instagram Username...avat5634 Just in case you need someone to talk with. He cure the following diseases below...1. Herpes 2. cancer 3. HIV / AIDS 4. hepatitis 5. Bring my ex back 6. Leprosy 7. SARS 8. Bubonic plague
    9. Cerebrovascular disease 10. Lower respiratory infections 11. Syphilis 12. Influenza A-H1N1 (swine flu) 13.Ischemic heart disease 14. Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease 15. Shingles 16. psoriasis,Perinatal complications 17. diarrhea 18 Autism. 19.. lung cancer.

    ReplyDelete